2015年3月11日 星期三

week3-French expats pay tribute to victims of terror attack

Hundreds of people showed up for a silent sit-in in Taipei last night organized by a group of French people living in Taiwan “in memory of the victims of the attack on the offices of the satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo in Paris” and to show support for the freedom of expression.
The gathering, titled “Nous sommes Charlie” on Facebook, took place at Liberty Square last night, with people carrying placards reading “Je suis Charlie” and “Nous sommes Charlie” in French and Chinese. First standing and later sitting around an installation carrying a poster reading “我們是Charlie” (“We are Charlie”) and showing the 12 victims, the participants remained silent, some with lit candles.
Pierre-Yves Baubry, one of the initiators of yesterday’s event, said what happened in Paris “has shocked France and the French people living abroad. In many cities around the world people have gathered in the same way as [we are] tonight.”
He said besides the gathering in Taipei, there was also an event taking place simultaneously in Kaohsiung, both organized by French people living in Taiwan with the help of Taiwanese friends.
“There are two main significations; first is to mourn the victims in solidarity with the families, and also to support freedom of speech and freedom of the press” since the terrorist act was obviously targeted at the magazine for what it has expressed, he said.
“I felt the same way as I felt after 9/11,” said Florian, a French citizen who went to the vigil yesterday. “These journalists and cartoonists were part of our life; [the French people] grew up with them, who were not only working for one newspaper, but many.”
“They represent liberty of speech and freedom of what we could say and even think,” he said.
Nicolas, a French expatriate who has been living in Taiwan for more than 10 years, said the rally is to say that “we are not afraid of the [terrorist act]” and that “everybody has stood up against this barbarity and killing.”
“This is the worst [terrorist] attempt in France in the past 50 years. It was a great shock to France and all over the world not only for the attack itself, as 12 people have died, but also because it is a direct attack on the freedom of expression and press,” Bureau Francais de Taipei Director Olivier Richard said.
Worldwide people are demonstrating like people here are today,” he said, adding that the French office also held a minutes’ silence on Thursday morning and has opened a book of condolence.          
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2015/01/10/2003608904

2015年3月4日 星期三

week2-Sydney café, hostage

A lone gunman kept terrified staff and customers captive into the night yesterday in a downtown Sydney cafe, brandishing an Islamic flag, as five of his hostages managed to flee for their lives.
The pre-Christmas siege of the Lindt Chocolat Cafe triggered a security lockdown in an area of Australia’s biggest city that houses several government and corporate headquarters, as hundreds of armed police surrounded the site.
The government said there was no clear motivation, but the flag appeared to be one commonly used by jihadist groups bearing the Shahada, or profession of faith in Islam.
More than 40 Australian Muslim groups jointly condemned the siege and the use of the flag, which they said had been hijacked by “misguided individuals that represent no-one but themselves.”
“We reject any attempt to take the innocent life of any human being or to instill fear and terror into their hearts,” they said in a statement.
Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott convened a national security meeting to deal with the “disturbing” development.
About six hours into the siege, three men emerged from the popular cafe and ran from the building, two from the front door and one from an emergency exit.
About an hour later two distraught women also fled. It was not clear if they escaped or were released.
One was barista Elly Chen, whose sister Nicole said on Facebook: “Yessss I finally see you. I’m so glad you’re safe!!!!”
As the siege neared its 12th hour last night, basic questions remained unanswered. Police refused to say how many hostages were inside the cafe, what they believed the gunman’s motives might be or whether he had made any demands.
They also did not rule out the possibility that there might be more than one suspect inside.
“I would like to give you as much as I can, but right now that is as much as I can,” New South Wales Police commissioner Andrew Scipione said. “First and foremost, we have to make sure we do nothing that could in any way jeopardize those still in the building.”
Police were negotiating with a suspect and said they had no information to suggest that anyone had been hurt.
Scipione said they had not confirmed whether the siege was related to terrorism.
“Our only goal tonight and for as long as this takes is to get those people that are currently caught in that building out of there safely,” he said.
Channel 10 news said it received a video in which a hostage inside the cafe had relayed demands by the gunman. The station said police requested they not broadcast it, and Scipione separately asked all media outlets that might be contacted by the man to urge him to talk to police instead.
The incident began at about 9:45am in Martin Place, a plaza in the heart of the city’s financial and shopping district that is packed with holiday shoppers this time of year.
Television video shot through the cafe’s windows showed several people with their arms in the air and hands pressed against the glass, and two people holding up a black flag with the Shahada written on it.
“I walked up to the door and then everyone was sitting down and the door’s locked which is pretty weird because it’s never locked and there was one guy walking around with a hat and a beard,” a man who identified himself as Bruno, a worker at the cafe, told the Australian Broadcasting Corp, referring to the suspected assailant. He said he then turned away.                                                                                          http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2014/12/16/2003606841
Structure of the Lead
WHO- A lone gunman
WHEN- the night yesterday
What- brandishing an Islamic flag, as five of his hostages managed to flee for their lives.
WHY- there was no clear motivation
WHERE- a downtown Sydney cafe
  
HOW-not given

Keywords:
1.    brandishing 揮舞
2.    assailant 兇手

2015年2月25日 星期三

week1-Eric Garner, NYPD, I can’t breathe, chokehold

More than four months after an unarmed black man died in a chokehold during an arrest by a New York police officer, the criminal case against the officers involved in his death has collapsed with a special grand jury decision not bring charges, according to an attorney for the victim’s family.
The Associated Press quoted Jonathon Moore, who represents Eric Garner’s family, saying he was “astonished by the decision”.
The decision comes after racial tensions reached fever pitch in Missouri, the scene of violence and rioting after a grand jury declined to bring charges against a white police office in the killing of Michael Brown, an unarmed black teenager. His death sparked hundreds of protests across the country and snapped into focus seething race issues.
Only 17 July, police stopped the heavy-set father of six on Staten Island under suspicion of peddling untaxed “loose” cigarettes. Garner had been arrested previously for selling untaxed cigarettes, marijuana possession and false impersonation.
A video shot by a bystander shows Garner resisting arrest as a plainclothes officer.A video shot by a bystander shows Garner resisting arrest as a plainclothes officer attempts to to handcuff him. Backing away from the officer, Garner tells him: “This stops today,” which has become a rallying cry for protesters in New York. A struggle ensues. Eight-year NYPD veteran Daniel Pantaleo responds by putting his arm around Garner’s neck in a chokehold – banned under police policy – and wrestling the asthmatic man to the ground with the aid of several officers. Garner gasps “I can’t breathe” until his 350lb body goes limp. He was later pronounced dead at a hospital.Speaking at Garner’s funeral in July, the Rev Al Sharpton urged a federal civil rights investigation, and argued for charges to be brought against the officer.
“Let’s not play games with this one. You don’t need no training to stop choking a man saying ‘I can’t breathe’,” Sharpton shouted to a packed church. “You don’t need no cultural orientation to stop choking a man saying ‘I can’t breathe.’ You need to be prosecuted.”
Garner’s death touched off protests and rallies across the city. Weeks later, the city’s medical examiner ruled Garner’s death a homicide, heightening calls for criminal charges. The autopsy findings said Garner died as a result of the chokehold, compressions to his chest and prone positioning during his restraint by police.
Pantaleo was stripped of his gun and badge while an investigation takes place; the actions of the other officers and emergency responders involved in the incident were also examined.
Tensions had been simmering all week as New Yorkers braced for the verdict, delivered ahead of the anticipated grand jury decision on whether to bring charges against the officer who killed Michael Brown in Ferguson.
Activists called for a day of action following the verdict to protest the decision not to pursue charges against Pantaleo. Protesters are also demanding an end to a policing philosophy championed by NYPD commissioner William Bratton. The policing model, known as “broken windows,” emphasizes attention to petty crime – such as selling untaxed cigarettes – as means of stymying more serious crime.
The decision may compound already frayed relations between the New York police department and minority communities, which Bratton and the city’s mayor, Bill de Blasio, pledged to repair.
The NYPD outlawed chokeholds over two decades ago, exactly because they can be deadly if administered inappropriately or carelessly. Still, between January 2009 and June 2014, the city’s Civilian Complaint Review Board, an independent agency that investigates police misconduct, received 1,128 civilian complaints involving chokehold allegations. Of these, only a small fraction of the cases are ever substantiated – just ten during the five and a half year window.
In the days after Garner’s death, Bratton said all 35,000 officers would be retrained on the department’s use of force policy.
The family has sued the city and the police department, as well as several officers involved in the incident.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/dec/03/eric-garner-grand-jury-declines-indict-nypd-chokehold-death                                                                                                                                                                 Structure of the Lead
 WHO-an unarmed black man
 WHEN-More than four months
 WHAT- the criminal case against the officers involved in his death has collapsed with a special grand jury decision not bring charges,
 WHY-The decision comes after racial tensions reached fever pitch in Missouri
WHERE-New York
  HOW-not given
   Keywords
1.     attorney  律師
2.      plainclothes 便衣
3.      impersonation 模擬